Central FM

Central FM was actually launched as Centre Sound – a community based radio station in Stirling on the 4th June 1990. Its first managing Director was Colin Lamont – now better known as Scottie McClue.

One of the old Central FM logos


By September of that year, gathering debts forced them to approach Radio Forth (at that time part of Scottish Radio Holdings) to take them over, but because of government legislation at that time, Radio Forth’s share could be no more than 20%. However, they agreed to take over the management of Centre Sound and relaunched as Central FM in November 1990. The other 80% then was owned by the local council, local newspaper groups, various financial institutions, Stirling University and local business investors.
 
Originally the staion launched on 96.7 FM but the signal was boosted to include the larger town of Falkirk in May 1994 and they moved to 103.1 FM.

During the 90s Central FM also shared night time programming with Radio Forth/Max AM/Forth 2/Radio Borders and Radio Tay – all stations at that time were part of Scottish Radio Holdings

The station continued to record a loss, and in 1996, Radio Investments Ltd gained control after increasing its stake to 60%, ending the partnership with Radio Forth and leading to the station relocating to studios in Falkirk. Later, the controlling share passed onto The Local Radio Company, with 20% held by EMAP and the rest by independent investors.

TLRC chairman John Quinn took control of Central FM in 2008. In October 2012, the station returned to Stirling with the opening of new studios at the Springkerse Industrial Estate. In August 2013, Central FM began broadcasting on DAB across Central Scotland.

Central FM Jingle Montage

error: Content is protected !!