Swansea Sound began broadcasting on 30 September 1974 as the first commercial radio station in Wales and the first commercial radio station to broadcast bilingually in the English and Welsh languages. Originally, Swansea Sound broadcast on 95.1 VHF before moving to 96.4. The Medium Wave (or AM) service remained the same on 1170 kHz (257 metres).
In 1995, the station was split into two separate services – a practice that had been widely adopted within the commercial radio industry in order to avoid relinquishing frequencies – with a new station called 96.4 Sound Wave (now 96.4 The Wave) launched on the FM frequency, while Swansea Sound continued to broadcast as normal on 1170 AM.
Swansea Sound Jingle Montage